Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Blah Diddy Blah Blah

I am having a really hard time mustering the energy to give a crap about my homework. I fail to see how this excessive reading load or the ridiculous busywork I'm assigned to do makes me a better teacher, other than showing me what NOT to do. What would be so much more helpful is discussion sections where experienced teachers tell us what works for them and we discuss whether other ideas would be feasible or not. I have a few lectures like this, which are great. They still assign bogus readings, but at least the sections are good. But my English teaching methods course pisses me off no end. The professor talks to us like she thinks we should talk to high school students. I can understand the rationale behind this modeling technique but I don't find it particularly useful and I don't think anybody else does, either. I'd have found her manner of address demeaning even as a freshman in high school. It disappoints me, what this program says about the state of the educational system. All the wrong things are being emphasized and I don't know how to fix that. 

Meanwhile to console myself for the piteous state of American education, what I really want to do is get a massage and a facial and various other luxurious, sensual things. Alas, fortune does not permit. I might splurge this weekend anyway and get myself a full body massage. 

I may have mentioned in an earlier post that I signed up for a workshop with my favorite living author, Francesca Lia Block. In order to prepare for the workshop, she requests that each participant send in up to 5 pages of manuscript to share with the group. It took me quite some time to get going on my pages (mostly due to fear of sucking) but I finished them, and I sent them in. Now I'm waiting for her response...auuughhhh.


Ermmm...I don't really have anything to say. I'm trying to blog more often just as a writing/thinking exercise to stay in touch with my ideas. We'll see how that goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment