And another thing. Talking with the women at the workshop, I had an epiphany. "Epipha-what?" An epiphany. I should've been writing this novel in first person all along. No wonder there's no sense of my protagonist's voice--it's MY voice and I haven't been using it. And those of you who know me know that I have a very strong, clear voice. This character is at least partially me, and she should sound like it. DUH. I think this is what the piece needs to give it the immediacy, personality, and humor I've been searching for and not finding.
DUHHH. So I'm going to take a leaf out of my pal Iggy's screenplay and rewrite the whole thing, with the new document open side-by-side with the old. Anybody who wants to read either version, drop me a line via this or facebook or any other way you know to get in contact with me. You'll also be asked to sign a non-disclosure agreement that entitles me to your firstborn child if you disseminate my pieces in any way. (you think I'm kidding? try me.)

No comments:
Post a Comment